Diane Wakoski, American poet, educator. Named University Distinguished Professor, Michigan State University, 1990, Author of Year, Michigan Library. Association, 2003; recipient award, Michigan Arts Foundation, 1989, Distinguished Faculty award, Michigan State University, 1989; grantee Cassandra Foundation, 1970, New York State Cultural Council, 1971-1972, Guggenheim Foundation, 1972-1973, Fullbright, 1984, Michigan Arts Council, 1988.
Wakoski, Diane was born on August 3, 1937 in Whittier, California. Daughter of John Joseph and Marie Elvira (Mengel) W.
- Writer-in-residence Michigan State University, East Lansing, since 1976, University distinguished professor, since 1990. Visiting writer California Institute of Technology, 1972, University Virginia, 1972-1973, Wilamette University, 1973, Lake Forest College, 1974, Colorado College, 1974, University California, Irvine, 1974, Macalester College, 1975, University Wisconsin, 1975, Hollins College, 1974, University Washington, 1977, Whitman College, 1976, Emory University, 1980-1981, University Hawaii, 1978.
- Medea the Sorceress (The Archaeology of Movies and Books, V. 1)
- A sustained meditation on personal past and the secret nature of reality, this multi-volume work unearths a wealth of hidden meanings from the first-person-historical dimensions recording a Southern California girlhood, moves to Berkeley, Nevada and Michigan, and the chain of great expectations developed along the way--built out of Hollywood movie dreams ("imagining our lives, instead of living them") and inevitably shattered by disappointing and betraying real-life relationships.
- Jason the Sailor (Archaeology of Movies & Books)
- From "His Bedroom Voice": He leaves a message on our answering machine, a simple one, plain, expedient, he needs a letter of recommendation, but as I listen without much thought/I realize I don't mind anything he asks of me
- The Motorcycle Betrayal Poems
- Diane Wakoski (born 1937) is an American poet who is associated with the "deep image" poets, and to a lesser degree, the "confessional" and Beat poets of the 1960's.
- Discrepancies and Apparitions
- A collection of poems (published in 1966) by one of the brightest and youngest of American poets.
Born August 3, 1937