Freelance editor, London, 1953-1956. Linguist Royal Air Force, 1956—1957. Lecturer United States history department American studies Manchester University, 1957-1958.
Visiting assistant professor economics Tulane University, 1959-1960. From assistant to full professor Smith College, 1960-1968. William R. Kenan Junior professor American institutions and values Trinity College, Hartford, 1980—1981.
Professor history University Illinois, Chicago, 1968-1998, professor emeritus, since 1998. Visiting professor Columbia University, University Massachusetts, University Hawaii, University Düsseldorf, Federal Republic Germany, 1974-1975. Fulbright professor University Warsaw, Poland, 1973-1974, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México, Mexico City, 1980, University Salzburg, Austria, 1986-1987.
Member committee examiners Graduate Record Examinations Educational Testing Service, Princeton, New Jersey, 1966-1970. Member American studies committee American Council Learned Societies, 1973-1975. Lecturer United States Information Agency, State Department, 1973-1987, advisory to publications.
- Essential Cell Biology, 4th Edition
- Essential Cell Biology provides a readily accessible introduction to the central concepts of cell biology, and its lively, clear writing and exceptional illustrations make it the ideal textbook for a first course in both cell and molecular biology.
- The Immune System, 4th Edition
- The Immune System, Fourth Edition emphasizes the human immune system and presents immunological concepts in a coherent, concise, and contemporary account of how the immune system works.
- Ageing in a consumer society: From passive to active consumption in Britain (Ageing and the Lifecourse)
- This book provides a unique critical perspective on the changing nature of later life by examining the engagement of older people with consumer society in Britain since the 1960s.
- Ethnic Chicago: A Multicultural Portrait
- This award-winning study of ethnic life in Chicago richly details the various peoples and ethnic institutions in America's heartland city.
1953 - 1956
1956 - 1957
1957 - 1958
1959 - 1960
1960 - 1968
1968 - 1998
1980 - 1981
- show more ...